Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pepperidge Farm...eat your heart out.

Ok, I admit, they are not quacking in their boots or eating their hearts out over at Pepperidge Farm, and I don't really think they need to either. For this week's blog, I tried my hand at making Milano ( or Milan) cookies, the best cookie that Pepperidge Farms makes. I love these cookies (especially the double chocolate ones), and could eat a bag in one sitting. A while ago, my friend and follow blogger Beth made a version of the Milan for a Daring Bakers challenge. She made her's with coffee and Nutella, and I, not liking coffee or having any Nutella in house, made mine plain with as much chocolate as I could sandwich in between the two cookies. These are pretty easy to make, just a little time consuming. They were very yummy, although not as crisp as Milanos generally are. (I think I added a little too much egg white) I will say after two days, there were none left in the house, so they were definitely a hit. The following recipe is the version Beth was given for the challenge, changed a bit by me. If you would like to Beth's coffee/Nutella recipe, go to

http://cookiepiebklyn.blogspot.com/, and you find that recipe and so many more.





Preheat your oven to 350.







12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened

2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 large eggs)

2 Tbsp. vanilla extract2

Tbsp. lemon extract [I omitted]

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour








In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter with a paddle attachment, then mix in the sugar. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla extract. Add the flour until just incorporated.





With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Although I will admit, I did not have a tip, so I just used the bag.



Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.



1/2 cup heavy cream

8 oz. semisweet chocolate



In a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl. Whisk to melt chocolate and blend well. Set aside to cool. The ganache will thicken as it cools. Now pair up the cookies to match as best as possible. Spread with cooled ganache and sandwich together.





The finished product!




Delicious!









No comments:

Post a Comment