Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hot Wheels

My lastest cake was for my friend Drina's adorable son Emery. Emery was turning one and Drina asked for a cake and a smash cake for his party. She had no colors in mind and no theme that she was using. She told me that Emery liked anything with wheels...so a car cake it was.

I have a couple of sets of cookie cutters that have matching stamps. So I cut a car, a pick-up truck and a fire engine out of marshmellow fondant and stamped them with bright colors. I also cut out some stars and stamped then to go on the cake. This was the first time I have tried something like this, and I'm really happy it worked.
I then arranged the cutouts on the side of the cake.

Finished off with a top and bottom border of small shells, and a happy birthday to Emery, and his main cake was done.

For his smash cake, I thought it would be fun to make the side look like a racing flag. I achieve this look by cutting little squares of black fondant and placing them on the cake. I then made a little car out of some fondant to top of the smash cake. After looking at the cake, my youngest, Riley, said cute race car, so that gave me the idea to add the red one on the side of the car.

The complete set. Vroom, vroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment