Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pretty in Pink

As you may or may not know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is a disease that hits close to home for my family. Right before her 31st birthday, my sister was told she had breast cancer. So when I saw a post on Beantown Baker with a challenge, I had to do this in honor of Jodi. The challenge was simple, just make something pink. So I went a little crazy and made Pink Lemonade Cake (and cupcakes). I had never tried this recipe before, but after doing a little Internet surfing, and tweaking the recipe just a little, I had my pink cake (and cupcakes). You will see two different decorations in the post today. The first is the cake for the challenge which I decorated in different shades of pink fondant. And then the cupcakes that I decorated to look like mummies for a playdate that I am hosting today.




http://www.beantownbaker.com/2009/10/power-of-pink.html



This is the logo and link from The Beantown Baker's blog.




2 c flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 c sugar

1/2 c oil

4 egg whites

2/3 c frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed

1/4 c buttermilk

1/4 c heavy cream

zest from 1 lemon






Preheat your oven to 350. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda, set aside. Also, combine the buttermilk and heavy cream to use later. In another mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, whites, lemonade and zest. Alternatively add flour mix and buttermilk/heavy cream to sugar mixture. You may or may not want to add some pink food coloring, I did.



Pour into greased pans or cupcake papers and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.




Decorating the cake with different stripes of pink fondant.





Some fondant pearls just to dress it up a bit (and hide the seam).





The Breast Cancer ribbon. (sorry for the blurry picture)




Little mummies ready for the kiddos.

To make these I just frosted the cupcakes with some white frosting and then used the backside of a basket weave tip to create the bandages. Leave a open space for the eyes and then place 2 chocolate chips (upside down) so your mummy has a face. So cute and so easy.

1 comment:

  1. I love your fondant work! And the mummy with the bow is very cute as well. Thanks for participating in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete