To start, I assembled the body. Here is pre-craving ...
...and here is post craving, iced and ready for fondant.
Now the colors I used for the party were pink, orange and green. Since Kenzie's birthday is in the dead of winter, I wanted bright fun colors. Because of that, I decided to make the cat orange.
Body complete with legs and tail. This part went so well, that I was ready to brave making the head, with very high hope for it to go as smoothly as the body did.
The head ready for craving. Feeling really good still at this point. Sadly, my hopes were dash pretty fast, and things were looking bleak for our little cat here. Thankfully after 4 attempts (and they say third times a charm-ha!) I came up with the following...
A head for the cat!
Notice the cat is smiling...it was very happy too that it didn't go airborne.
Here is the final cat cake. For not really knowing what I was doing, I'm happy with how the cake turned out.
Wanting to make sure I had enough cake for everyone, I made some matching cupcakes. They were never in any danger of flying across the room.