Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yucky and disgusting, but taste good.

That's what my critics have said about my latest dessert. Of course my critics are my 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old (who basically eats nothing) and my husband (he gave me the good review). So yesterday morning, I decided to make apple tarts. The inspiration for this came from my brand new cookbook. Now if you have ever been to my house, you know I have a bunch of cookbook. My collection started because I needed the books for work and now I add when something looks really tempting or a friend has written the book. I actually have two books that are done by people I know. My latest is the one that gave me the idea for the apple tarts this week. The book is called "You Made That Dessert?" by Beth Lipton (we went to culinary school together). If you don't think you can bake at all, I recommend this book because Beth breaks recipes down so that anyone can make something. Like these apple tarts...they are super simple, and always get oohs and aahs (that is if you aren't serving them to 4 and 2 1/2 year old).


Now all you need for these tarts are some apples (I used Granny Smith), cinnamon, sugar, butter and puff pastry. And I highly recommend that you use the frozen puff pastry...you would be crazy to make it yourself...I used the frozen puff pastry...professional chefs use frozen puff pastry (is that enough of a hint). As for tools you will need, I used my rolling pin, cookie tray and a large mug to cut the circles (you could also use a very large cookie cutter if you have one).



So to make these yummy tarts (that's my review), you need to roll out the puff pastry a little(make sure to sprinkle a little flour on you work surface and puff pastry to avoid sticking) and cut out your circles or you can just cut out some rectangles (I did both). Peel and slice the apples (try your best to get them thin and about the same size), and then toss them in some cinnamon sugar. Arrange the apple slices on your puff pastry, brush with some melted butter and then sprinkle with a little raw sugar (I actually used a toffee sugar topping from Pampered Chef). Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is nice and golden. Dress them up with a little caramel sauce, (I used one of the many caramel sauces we have from McDonald's when we get the apple dippers in Happy Meals) and some vanilla ice cream (we sadly don't have ice cream in the house right now) and...voila, you have restaurant style apple tarts.



For actual amount of ingredients, go out and buy the book (and no Beth isn't paying me anything to plug her book), or just wing it. I found this is one of the few desserts that you can do that and not mess it up. Maybe you like more cinnamon, maybe a little less. You decide. Also one more note...I have silicone mats lining my cookies trays so that nothing sticks. If you don't have these, you may want to get some parchment paper (you can buy it at the grocery store in with the wax paper) and line you tray with it. It makes getting them off the trays easy and clean up is a breeze.


Enjoy!







Your basic ingredients...apples, puff pastry, cinnamon sugar and
sugar topping





The finished product.




Served warm with some caramel sauce.





Yum!









No comments:

Post a Comment