Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Gift of Cake

So my cake challenge for this past weekend was to make a cake for two precious little girls for a joint birthday party. A mom from my playgroup Stacy, had first asked if I could make a cake and a smash cake for her daughter Violet's 1st birthday party. She had no particular theme, but wanted a cake that looked like a present and wanted the ribbon to be violet in color. Then she decided to have a joint birthday party for Violet and her other daughter Lily, so we added another smash cake to the order. At first, when asked, Lily said her favorite color was red and therefore I was going to put a red ribbon on her cake. Then she changed her mind to pink, so we went with a pink ribbon, and then used both pink and violet ribbon on the large cake to tie everything together.

Sorry this picture isn't better. I think I need to take some classes on photography when I'm not making cakes.
For the smash cake, I made over sized cupcakes, leveled of the tops, turned them over and made little presents out of them.

The ribbons and name cards were made out of marshmallow fondant.


The cake, a pink lemonade cake with lemon curd filling, was frosted in a pale yellow buttercream. I took great care in making sure the yellow did not get to bright so that the cake would in no way resemble a Minnesota Vikings cake. That would not be looked upon favorably here in Packer country.

I made the ribbon loops and name cards the night before so they could dry and then me put into place. The flowers are made out of marshmallow fondant and then hand painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment