Monday, December 23, 2013

Last Minute Holiday Baking

Twas two days before Christmas, and all through my house, oven timers were beeping, cause I was still baking (and I know that doesn't rhyme, but since there is not a mouse in the house to stir, I went with it). yep, I'm still making goodies around here because we keep eating it up (I'll be making my 7th batch of Christmas Crack later). Today I found a recipe, tweaked it a little and made Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes. I found the original recipe at the blog Chuck and Welly. It was for Banana Gingerbread Cupcakes. http://chuckandwelly.com/2013/11/12/dont-want-to-overdo-it/#_a5y_p=1056339. I decided to add some cocoa and make them chocolate...I love chocolate, and I have been wanting to pair chocolate and gingerbread this holiday season. I have to say, they turned out really nicely. You can put frosting on them, but I'm finding that I like them with just a little powdered sugar on them.

1/2 C butter, room temperature
3/4 C sugar
1/3 C brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp molasses
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3 small ripe bananas, mashed
 zest of one orange
 3/4 C milk, room temperature
2  C flour 1 tsp baking soda
3/4 C cocoa
 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
 1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside Whip together butter and sugars. Once combined, stir in molasses, eggs, and vanilla. Add in bananas and orange zest and beat until mixed. Alternate adding milk and flour mixture and stir just until combined. Scoop batter into cupcake pan, lined with cupcake papers or greased, and bake for 17-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment