Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Love You to the Moon and Back

One of my oldest and dearest friends is expecting her first child next year. I am so happy for her and wanted to send her a little something to celebrate baby. I had a onesies cookie cutter that I knew I wanted to use, but I also wanted something a little more. So after some thinking I came up with moon cookies.

First I started with a round sugar cookie (little side note, my friend's nephew labeled my cookies the best cookies he had ever had...just saying). I used a yellow food color marker to draw my moon on to the cookie.


Then I used some stiff royal icing to outline the moon.


Once the outline had dried, I used the flooding technique to fill the moon. Then I took some stiff dark blue royal icing to make an outline on the rest of the cookie. After drying the moon and outline, I once again did the flooding technique to complete the cookie.


To fully finish off the look I was going for, I made an eye and mouth with a brown food color marker and then used a pink food color marker for the moon's check. Then I brushed the moon with some pearl luster dust. I also used pearl luster dust to create the stars in the sky.


Once again, the flooding technique was used to make the little onesies.



Here's the complete set and I'm happy to report that Mommy, Daddy and even baby are enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment