Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A First

Back in April, I made a first communion cake for a friend's youngest son. All her son requested of the cake was that it by white with white icing.  Ok, I can do that.  This cake became a first for me for many different reasons.  I have never done a first communion cake, and I decided to try my hand at making modeling chocolate.  The last time I dealt with modeling chocolate was in culinary school, and that was a long, long time ago.  Plus, in school I didn't have to make it myself.  I found a super easy recipe on a blog called The Crafty Penguin.  Here is the link for the recipe (because I took no pictures of me actually making the chocolate, plus she described it so well, I thought I would share) http://www.the-crafty-penguin.com/2011/07/cake-with-horizontal-stripes.html.  Not only is this a recipe, it's also explains how to cover a cake in horizontal stripes of modeling chocolate (another first for me).
So here is what I came up with for the cake.  I'm not going to lie, I had some troubles with modeling chocolate, mainly the blue because I don't think I made the colored modeling chocolate correct.  I tried using colored candy melts instead of coloring the white modeling chocolate, which I should have done.
                                   
Not really knowing what to do with a first communion cake, I tried to put symbols associated with one.  So I put a loaf of bread, grapes and a cross on one side.

 
And I put another cross, chalice and stalks of wheat on the other side. Our friend was pleased as punch with the cake and she told me that her son really enjoy it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment