Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summertime and the Baking is Easy.

To celebrate the first day of summer and my sister-in-law coming over for dinner, I made a berry crisp. My original plan for dessert didn't actually include a crisp...



But after finding fruit like this, how could I not make one. I love summer because you find wonderful fruit at a great price. It makes eating well so easy. I don't really have a recipe for a berry crisp, and I was a little too lazy to look for one, so I just adapted an apple crisp recipe. So below is the recipe I made, which did produce a yummy treat, but I will admit it was a little juicy.



Berry Crisp


4 cups berries, washed and cut (if needed)


3 tablespoons brown sugar


1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)




Simply toss the fruit with all the other ingredients and spread into a butter pie or casserole dish.


Now for the crumb topping...


Oatmeal Nut Topping


1/3 c brown sugar

1/3 c sugar

5 tablespoon flour

1/2 c instant oatmeal

1/4 c chopped nuts (in this case I used some sugared pecans that I happen to have)

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 c butter, softened and cut into pieces


Crumble all the ingredients together by hand. Spread evenly over fruit. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until crumb topping is golden brown.


Let cool. Serve with whipped cream, ice cream or all by it's self. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment