Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I'm Baaaccckkkkkkk.

Sorry for the absence...it's been a crazy two weeks. First it started with me having gallbladder surgery. I knew I had to have the little bugger out, but thanks to an attack that started Sunday night, and really didn't end until they removed my gallbladder, it happened a lot faster than expected. Then last week, after dropping the kids at school and my Mom at the airport, I got back to our house without power (thanks to a storm and bad driver) in time for my hubby and I to find water in our basement. Yep, that's what you need to find, I'm sure you all agree, to make life calm and easy.


So anyway, now I am back and have recipes that I promised you all like three weeks ago. At my recent hosting of bunco, I made brownie whoopie pies, and that is the recipe I have for you all today. These are so simple to make and you really don't have to be a talented baker to make them. First, I started with some Duncan Hines Brownie Mix. Yep, you heard me right, brownie mix...something I have nothing against and find handy to have in house at all times. Instead of making the normal recipe, you simply take the mix and add 2 eggs and 1/3 cup oil. Stir until just blended and dry ingredients are moistened.


Use a cookie scoop (my preference) or drop by tablespoon on to your cookie tray and bake at 350 for 11-14 minutes, until cracked in appearance and just barely set at center when lightly touched.


Once cool, fill with you favorite frosting. I picked coconut pecan, and turned the whoopie pies into mini German Chocolate cakes. You can either buy the coconut pecan frosting or make your own. It's a pretty simple recipe.



Coconut Pecan Frosting



1 c. evaporated milk

1 c. sugar

3 egg yolks

1/2 c. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. flaked coconut

1 c. chopped pecans


Combine first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add coconut and pecan. Beat until cool and thick. Spread cooled frosting onto one of the brownie disc and then top with another brownie disc to make a sandwich.
So here is your finished product. All that's left to do is enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment