Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Sew Magical cake for Mackenzie

I know it's been a long, long time...ok, let's face it, it's been two months, since I posted here. Must admit, I had a little holiday baking burnout. That paired with my hubby upgrading our computer to Windows 8, and me being afraid to upload any pictures of stuff I have made in fear of losing a lot of family pictures, didn't help. So here I am, finally ready to due some blogging. Back in January, our middle child Mackenzie turned six. Her theme this year was Lalaloopsy. This was a fun cake to put together and it helped that I had a bunch of mini Lalaloopsy dolls to help decorate it with. To make this cake even more fun, I decided to make the cake itself, have polka dots.
 
To make the polka dots, I  made some colored cake balls just like I was making cake pops. I made a vanilla cake like normal, filling a cake pan with half the batter. Then I put the cake balls on top of the batter.
After that, I put the rest of the batter in the pan, covering up the cake balls.
Cutting into the cake revealed the dots inside. I think the kids liked it. I did discover one thing with this process.  You don't want to put too much frosting in the cake balls, which I managed to do.  I think this slightly effected the dots inside when we cut the cake, and they didn't look as clean as I would have liked them to.
The rest of the pictures speak for themselves.  I used fondant and icing to decorate. And of course the mini Lalaloopsy dolls with their pets.


Mackenzie was thrilled with her cake and a fun day was had by all.

1 comment: