Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oh My Ganache

I had planned to post on Tuesday, I really did. But life as I know it went from crazy to extra crazy this week. So here is my post on the chocolate truffles I made for the Death by Chocolate event we went to at my friend's house.

Truffles are super easy and taste oh so yummy! A truffle filling is made from ganache, and while ganache sounds all fancy and hard to make, it is one of the simplest most versatile things. Three ingredients to make the truffle base is all you will need really. This recipe I am going to share is from Better Homes and Gardens. I happen to stumble across it online and luckily, had what I needed to make the truffles.

Chocolate Truffle Base

10 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (you can use chocolate chips and make it easy on yourself)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup butter, cut up

In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine semisweet chocolate, whipping cream, and butter. Microcook, uncovered, on high for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. If necessary, return chocolate mixture to microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds more; stir until smooth.

Now I call this a truffle based, because I added some flavors. I divided the ganache into three bowl and had a little fun.
First I started with some Peppermint extract. I have to admit, I didn't measure how much I used. I just splashed a little in, stirred and gave it a taste.

I did the same thing with the raspberry extract.
For the coconut truffles, I used coconut extract and also added a little shredded coconut to the ganache.

Once you have you flavors mixed in, cover the bowls and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours. Line a baking sheets with nonstick foil or lightly greased foil or waxed paper. Drop chocolate mixture from rounded teaspoons (or use a small cookie scoop) onto the prepared sheet. Cover with waxed paper; freeze for 10 minutes. Roll the scooped ganache to form a ball. After that you are ready for the coating. I used cocoa for the raspberry, pink tinted coconut for the coconut and powdered sugar for the mint.
The finished delish project.

No comments:

Post a Comment