Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Twelve Days of Goodies - Day 7

I use to make today's goodies all the time when I was working at a catering company. They go by many names, but the name I have heard used the most is Magic Bars. Here is the version I used this year.


Magic Bars


3 cups finely ground cookies (12 ounces), such as graham crackers or chocolate wafers, or a combination
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pecan pieces
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 375. Line a jelly roll pan with a Silpat or parchment paper.


An easy way to create cookie crumbs is to put the cookies in a zip lock bag and then use a rolling pin to crush them. Combine crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl. Press evenly to the bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan.


Bake for 10 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Cool for 20 minutes.


Sprinkle pecans and chocolate chips over crust. When I went to make these, I discovered I didn't have enough chocolate chips, so I add some crasins to the mix.


Pour condensed milk over crust and spread evenly, which I have to admit is easier said then done without moving all you chips and nuts.


Put a layer of coconut on top and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until coconut is toasted.


Let cool, preferable on a wire rack. Then cut into squares. You can trim the edges if so desired.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... my mom used to make these every year when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete