Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Twelve Days of Goodies - Day 9

This goodie of the day is one I discovered back when I worked in a restaurant. I picked this recipe because it used Guinness and we just so happened to have Guinness in our refrigerator. I will have to warn you, this recipe is kind of coming from the dusty old files in the back of my mind. If you saw what I have written down as the recipe, you would wonder how in the heck a cake was going to come out of it, but here goes anyway.

Guinness Gingerbread Cake

1 cup Guinness Stout
1 cup dark molasses
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil

Preheat oven to 350





Combine stout and molasses in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add baking soda and cool.



Whisk together the eggs and sugars until lemon in color.



Whisk in the oil.



Stir in molasses mixture and combine thoroughly.



Combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg together. Gradually add the flour mixture into the cake batter. Pour into a greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.



I tried my new silicone tube cake pan that I just got. I thought it would make a great cake for Christmas. Sadly, the cake didn't quite come out of the pan as clean as I would of liked it. So as the saying goes, when the world (or in this case, my oven) hands you lemons...



Make gingerbread cake pops! I let the cake cool, threw it in a bowl with some vanilla frosting and mixed it all together. Dipped the pop in some milk chocolate, topped it off with a little fondant to resemble royal icing and then embellished with some candy holly leaves and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment